Padd Solutions

Converted by Falcon Hive

Woke up Monday with a sore throat, hurt like hell to swallow. As the day progressed I had a case of the sniffles. Had quite a lazy morning, I watched a movie or two, had a flick through some of my class text books, and listened to some music. In the afternoon Tim was feeling a bit ill, so I just went for a stroll around the city to see what I could see. About 30minutes into my walk I bumped into one of my skater friends, I ended up following him to the duck shop, met up with some of the other skaters, then went skating and basically hung out for the rest of the evening.

To flesh out this blog post a bit, here are some random facts about China! :D

  • China is the most populous nation on earth.  With more than 1.2 billion people, it contains one-fifth of the world's population.  Approximately 93 percent of the people are Han Chinese; the remainder is made up of 350 minority groups -- 55 of them are commonly recognized  -- which have their own language, culture, and religion.

  • China has the third largest landmass of any nation.  Only Russia and Canada are larger.  China is slightly larger than the United States.  There are 31 provinces, autonomous regions and special municipalities.  Hong Kong, which reverted to China in 1997, is referred to as a special administrative region.  The four largest cities, Chongqing, Shanghai, Beijing, and Tianjin are administered directly by the central government.  Approximately half the land is occupied by minority people groups such as Mongols, Tibetans, Yugur, and Bai.  Only about 15 percent of China's land is farmable, so there is a great strain on the land to feed so many people.

  • Except for a few minority groups and some rural dwellers, families are strongly discouraged from having more than one child.   Those who ignore the admonitions can be severely penalized.  The government takes pride in this intrusive manner of population control.

I need to start taking notes in the day so I can remember what I actually did. But, don't expect anything too interesting until I'm over this man-cold. :-P

(0) Comments

Post a Comment